Welcome to Ontario's Municipal Accessibility Toolkit Website!
Lynda Staples, Project Manager, EnAbling Change Project
The site was established by AMCTO - the Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks & Treasurers of Ontario - with financial support from the Ministry of Community & Social Services to help the municipal sector meet its responsibilities under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
Since 2007 when the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 429/07 and Ontario Regulation 430/07 were enacted, this website has assisted municipalities with information and resources as they worked to implement the regulations requirements.
The website is now going through a facelift to include resources for the Integrated Accessiblity Standards.
We welcome suggestions for additions to the site, you can send an email to
WHAT'S NEW !! (updated January 3, 2013)
Clink on the links below
- Check out Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing website. There is some really useful information on Planning for Barrier free municipalites
- Proposed amendment to the barrier-free design requirements set out in the Building Code regulation (O. Reg. 332/12) under the Building Code Act, 1992
Ontario is looking for your views on potential changes to the barrier-free design requirements in the Building Code.
- As of December 28, 2012 Public Spaces has been legislated into the Integrated Accessibility Standard Regulations. To read all the details go to the E-Laws website.
AODA Expert APP
Looking for a new, useful, disability-related APP? Global Learning, an organization focused on diversity and inclusion, has created an app to help people find out more about the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Included is full search capabilities based on key words and if answers can't be found, there is the ability to send questions to a panel of experts.
This app is available from itunes for $3.99.
For more information: http://www.egloballearning.com/mobile_apps.php
Read the new Enabling Change Accessiblity Newsletter
- Ministry of Community and Social Services has a new Training Website. Check out Access Forward
To watch the Ontario Human Rights Commission training video for the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation requirement related to the Code: click here
- IASR Checklists now available for download! Click for Large municipalites or small municipalities.
- MCSS has just announced the "WIZARD" Welcome to the AODA Compliance Wizard. It will help you find out what you have to do to comply with Ontario's accessibility law. It's free and will take you less than five minutes to complete. Click Start and answer a few questions about your organization. When you are finished, the Wizard will give you a personalized summary of what you have to do. Visit Ontario.ca/AccessON for more information.
- Read AMCTO's AODA IASR submission on Public Spaces to the Ministry of Community and Social Services
- EnAbling Change Project and New Staff Announcement
- AMCTO Fall Workshop - Interpreting and Implementing the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation
- Conference Presentation 2012 - Information and Communication Standard - Manon Poirier
- Conference Presentation 2012 - City of Ottawa AODA Implementation - Lucille Berlinguette-Saumure
- Conference Presentation 2012 - General IASR Requirements, and Employment and Transportation Standards - Alan Whyte
- Conference Presentation 2012 - The Accessibility Directorate of Ontario - Alfred Spencer
- Survey and Consultation on Quality of Life for Persons with Disabilities
- Special Accessibility Express - February 27, 2012
- Ontario Public Service: Policies that Make Accessbility Work
- Ontario Public Service Multi-Year Accessiblity Plan 2009-2016
- City of London Compliance Workbook on Accessibility
- Emergency Response Information for: employees and public
- Accessibility Update from LEG Express - November 29 2011
- Questions and Answers from webinar on municipal accessibility requirements
- Video of webinar on municipal accessibility requirements (internet cookies must be enabled) - November 2011
- Article on Accessibility from Municipal Monitor - November 2011
- Towards an Accessible Ontario - powerpoint presentation accompanying webinar - November 2011
- Ottawa’s approach to meeting accessible taxi requirements, October 2011
- London Transit’s workbook for implementing Accessible Transit standards
- Accessibility Update - October 2011
- A Primer on the New Standard - October 2011 Click here.
- Vulnerable Persons Registry
- Notice of November 7th Webinar on Emergency Procedures
- Special Update on Accessibility - August 2011
- Update for AMCTO members on Accessibility Standards - June 9, 2011